PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Clear to Drop" for VFR PJE in class E
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2004, 03:44
OZBUSDRIVER

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
For my limited experience I cannot see any difficulty with ATC issuing a drop clearance to PJE aircraft who are using E-space. My experience was on my innaugural tour of our fair state three weeks ago. I was on YMNG CTAF approaching from NW at 3500, after I gave my inbound/overflying call I also heard a PJE op on CTAF reporting heading for the DZ at Nagambie. I was approx 5nm to west of his position. I also heard on ML RADAR PJE talking to ATC. ATC gave my position as unverified VFR at 3200 (I was) to west tracking for MNG and gave clearance to drop. If I was tracking closer to Nagambie I would have reported my intentions to PJE on the CTAF freq. ATC would have reported my position and if I was in conflict, the drop clearance would not have been issued until I was clear. How simple was that? Low level E-space is still controlled airspace. Only prob I can see is someone flying around without XPDR on and is possible too far out for a primary return on radar AND is not broadcasting intentions as per CTAF procedures AND is probably listening to a CD and enjoying the view....but then again they would be a problem no matter pre or post NAS.