PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Syd-Canberra-Syd Services Under Threat
Old 18th Jul 2004, 02:16
Argus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DOME

I'm not a public servant. However, I am a taxpayer. As such, and with respect, I take some exception to the glib way in which public servants are dismissive of any criticism of their taxpayer funded profligacy.

In a recent report, the ACT Auditor General expressed concern about improper travel procedures and the lack of accountability in the use of frequent flier points by ACT public servants.

The Auditor concluded that government agencies had not taken full advantage of benefits available under frequent flier schemes and other travel services.

As a taxpayer, I'm concerned that some government employees don't feel the need to obtain the best possible value for the taxpayers' funds they spend.

I'm also concerned that Australian jobs in companies like Rex and VB are at risk because some public servants don't like the 'no frills' service on short flights between Canberra and Sydney.

These positions are not mutually exclusive. If public servants think it's all too hard, then I respectfully suggest they look for work elsewhere, possibly in an environment where their own after tax capital is at risk.