PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Question About Heli's And Poor Weather
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2004, 23:06
Paracab

Nice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Question About Heli's And Poor Weather

I was having a nose around an airport in South East England today, when a large storm broke, very heavy rain (enough to cause localised flooding) periods of hail and very frequent lightning.

I decided that it was unlikely that much would happening there given the weather situation, so I was about to leave to carry on with what I should have been doing (shopping near by ! ) when I noticed an R22 (probably from the flying school) take off and carry out some manouvres at low level (20-30 ft or so)

This carried on for about five minutes with lightning all around, the helicopter then returned to its area on the airfield and landed.

The reason I'm posting this is that I was surprised to see the helicopter operating in the conditions and I don't know a great deal about the rotary wing side of aviation, and just wondered if it is normal to continue to operate under these circumstances.

Certainly not trying to stir up anything, which is why I've left all identifying details out, just curious as to the limitations and what's normal for this sort of helicopter.

I couldn't say whether a lesson was being carried out, testing or something else altogether, could this have been a factor ?

Again, not stirring, just interested, so please, no flame wars !

Regards,

Pc