PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Talk To A Forecaster ONLY £17 per call !
Old 17th Jul 2004, 20:28
Gertrude the Wombat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most of us after a few years should be able to make a decision from the charts and taffs.
Today was interesting. The charts and taffs and metars all indicated that I might or might not be able to carry out the planned trip, as did the instructor who signed me off at the club. Not too much of a clue there then. I decided to fly.

I found a mixture of high vis, low vis dropping to very low in showers, able to wander along at 3000', trying to creep under rather lower clouds, sunshine, black clouds. All, I guess, predictable from the forecast, so no complaints.

In fact I was able to complete the trip, but not via the planned route. Round Colchester way the scattered clound beneath me was becoming more and more solid, so with no instrument qualifications I turned round to look for another saner (and more legal) route to the destination ... and as I did so noticed a few miles away a radio mast sticking out of the top of the cloud layer beneath me! - not seen anything like that before. I think this was my first real-life attempt to re-plan a diversion in flight ... I did make it to the destination, eventually ... without calling 121.5 for a "practice pan" ... and just as I had worked out exactly where I was and exactly how to get to the destination the intermittant radio navaids, which had been dead so far, started working again.

And finally drove home to blue skies and brilliant sunshine.