PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dubai departures/delays
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2004, 21:20
AirNoServicesAustralia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2 cents worth...

There are examples of good and bad controlling in both UAE Centre and in DXB APP. Sometimes ACC works their butts off to get a nice string of arrivals all spaced 10 NM apart, with no arrivals from the other side, and DXB screws it up royally. Likewise I have seen colleagues (and at times myself) blow out a sequence and give DXB 15NM and the lost 5 NM screws DXB APP over. None of us are perfect.

I can only speak from an ACC point of view and my pet hate, and the area I would concentrate most on improving in DXB is the Coord position. Too many times on certain crews, as an example, you will be on East and you will go to the Coordinator in DXB to ask if its ok to shortcut the guy passing MUSAP inside the guy passing PASOV, only to get a blank "sorry who???", and then a lame "ohhh I'll call you back". Now if the Coordinator does not have his sequence worked out, or at the very least have an idea of who is coming in and when, by this late stage, what hope do we have of running a smooth sequence into DXB. Likewise, some coordinators, call a blanket 20NM between all aircraft, when they only need a selective 20NM between maybe a couple. Now I know this is what they are supposed to do, but it works so well with one crew I know of, when they use selective bigger spacing, and the coordinator actually looks out at their big range and communicates with Area, and takes an active role in sorting out the sequence earlier rather than later.

As far as the original post goes, I agree with the general sentiment, that being that, DXB and the UAE in general (AUH is getting silly now as well), has outgrown the airport capacities, the procedures and definately the ATC staffing levels. It is not the controllers fault as they are trying to keep the system running, but one thing you can all be sure of, if the traffic keeps growing at this rate, and no big changes are made soon, it will all come to a crunching halt.