PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Legal action against Naunton Pugh t/a Cape Flying services(Europe)
Old 16th Jul 2004, 11:42
George Tower

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prospector old chap I'm not sure I agree entirely with the main thrust of the points you are making. I think it is bad form to get into some sort of a pi$$ing contest as to who solo-ed with the fewest hours. So many things affect this from weather, to a/c maintenance and the sbility of both pupil and instructor. Also if someone was to learn at a busy airport like FACT it would be impossible to do 40 hours flying without spending at least 3 hours taxi-ing for example.

Another factor is the I know the general flying areas in use for both George and Cape Town are about 10-15 minutes from the airport so this adds time before the student can be "let loose" to fly as such.

A more general point is that these days anyone can become a pilot if they have the money. That lack of selection means that there will be some who take more time than others. Flying schools are not charitable organisations so they have to take virtally anyone that pitches up with cash and wants to fly even if this means you get the guy who has more than 50 dual hours before his solo.

I agree that the quote from the deceased pilot's instructor wasn't very coherant but I believe he can be given a bit of latitude given he's just witnessed a guy kill himself.