PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Atlantic Glider. Some final notes
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2004, 08:08
arcniz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The crew got it wrong and no amount of Airbus bashing will change that fact.
SPY: You speak well for your position, and you are much closer to the day-to-day of Airbus ops than I. The official record will speak to the facts of the incident.

That said, I do think the clarity of hindsight is often considerably different from that which is available in an unfolding situation. That is the context in which the systems did not serve them well, either because of training or stupidity or oversight or because the right information was not available in the right form at the right time.

My point is and was that there's still considerable room for improvement in functionality, scope, and quality of detail reported by production aircraft monitoring systems. And better guidance is needed in using the available data for serious diagnostic procedures. These things are not so hard to do. Airbus gets the heat only because this was an Airbus flight and because Airbus has done more pioneering in some aspects of the automated controls and related information displays. More power to 'em!

The bottom line in this case is, just as it has been since the first days of aviation, the pilot(s) have to fly the aircraft they're in, not any other.