PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VFR in the vicinity of Farnborough Airshow
Old 15th Jul 2004, 16:55
big.al

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VFR in the vicinity of Farnborough Airshow

If the weather ever perks up I had hoped to travel Gamston to Sandown next week, via DVT and CPT VORs and then routing overhead Havant to avoid Solent Zone (not sure if their SSR is back up and running yet but I remember a warning a few weeks ago that zone transits may be refused due to a radar outage for maintenance).

But that track takes me through the TRA established for the Farnborough International Airshow next week. Having downloaded the TRA chart from www.ais.org.uk, I can clearly duck under that part of the TRA (3500ft +) and route between Popham and Lasham to Havant as planned.

But am I better off planning to avoid the TRA completely (even if below the lower limit, the area is likely to be busy with big or fast planes not looking out for a little one)..?

Does anyone know if Solent are fully back up and running with their radar yet and are now more likely to grant transits? It would be possible to go beneath Solent CTA and avoid the Farnborough TRA but this would be a squeeze and mean staying lower than 2000' QNH if I can't get a transit clearance.

Recommendations from you more experienced guys and gals please?

Thanks!