PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Journalist takes “8 inch” knife aboard BA flight
Old 15th Jul 2004, 09:25
Danny

aka Capt PPRuNe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil

DocManhatten, you defeat your own argument when you say:
no-one cares what you smuggle into a newspaper office unless you actually blow the place up or spray it with bullets.
Just as you don't care what is smuggled into a newspaper office, I as a pilot don't care what you smuggle into an aircraft as long you don't blow it up or spray it with bullets.

I and probably most other people do not mind journalists exposing flaws in airport security. The problem I and many others have is with the more serious flaws in airport security that journalists fail to realise exist. In this case, the journalist rightfully exposed a flaw with the security screeners and no doubt that has been dealt with. However, based on your quote above, it is fairly obvious that the biggest flaw in security is not the detection of weapons but the INTENT to use a weapon, whether smuggled on board or not!

Now you tell me where you have seen ANY kind of security that deals with the INTENT to use any weapon (and that includes everyday objects readily available beyond 'security') other than with a very few select airlines. I don't include the "did you pack your own bags and has anyone given you anything to carry" question from the bored check-in person.