PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dubai departures/delays
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2004, 07:03
Fly Through

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Thanks Radar Pete, is that how you meant to do it? I bow to your vastly greater experience Glad you were so knowledgable about weather at your previous unit, obviously you aren't around here. In Dubai, when the wind changes it can change in a matter of minutes and completely unpredicted by the Met people (they normally report things after they happen anyway). Sometimes a runway change has to be made even at awkward times, it happens here, it happens everywhere. Occassionally it means holding, tough ****, it happens but it doesn't take much of a tailwind to prompt go arounds.

TP - Hmmmm new digital ATIS, at least we're getting it to give the correct runway at last! The centre were told why holding was necessary, not our fault if it's not passed on. Lousy gaps from the ACC increases the delays to the pilots, I thought that was what we were trying to avoid? Sorry you didn't nail 10nm at all during that period and yes some aircraft were vectored because.......shock, horror we get arrivals from other directions too ya know. Yes occasionally we asked for the odd larger gap, would you prefer a blanket restriction through the gates all the time? How does it screw you up when they are in the hold anyway? I've said before, things would be a lot smoother if we controlled the bottom levels of the hold, like most places in the rest of the world.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So some watches are better at sticking to the letter to the law and some better at working within it's constraints.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did I say 'break the law'? The rules we work by are full of grey areas where a controller's discretion is involved. Just because there are different solutions to a problem doesn't mean anyone is less proffessional or less able. As controllers, Pete & TP should understand this but alas not in our lifetime

The sooner we encourage more liason visits between units & cockpits the better. I've been to the centre, how many centre controllers do we get visiting us in Dubai? Not many. We all need to be working together to improve things and stand up to the tyrannical way procedures are imposed on us.

Last edited by Fly Through; 16th Jul 2004 at 03:36.