PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - David Hempleman-Adams overflies Cape Columbia
Old 15th Jul 2004, 00:31
ShenziRubani

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TonyR, once again thanks, I do need to cancel the other thread, I didn;t have it on this forum but on the "rumours" one, and yes, one thread is enough. I need to delete the other.

2Donkeys, I agree with your comments, unfortunately, there is not too much charity involved in this flight, as you may know, the decision on how/where to spend the money is usually made by the sponsors, not by the sailors/aviators/runners/climbers. In this case, our sponsor is not yet really involved in charities but has tried to get small things organised along the road. For example in Caracas, they will present football equipment to schools in poor areas, and same goes along the route in South America. The sponsor we have is just not the kind that need to advertise their involvement in non-profit/charity actions.
I also wish not to use the word "heroes" for David Hempleman-Adams and Lorne White, I think they are "adventurers" or "explorers", not heroes. The idea behind this challenge, apart from setting a few speed records along the way, was above all to promote the image of general aviation, to show that a small single-engine piston can take you to the end of the World, the idea was to push the limits of the plane, the limits of the pilots. We wanted to show that a "general aviation" aircraft can go far, can do things. I believe that it is better for all of us to see DHA's pink C210 on TV than hear about a Cherokee crash, or the threat "these small planes" would pose if in hands of terrorist. I am tired of the image of general aviation that some in the media are promoting, fed up of that idea that we fly dangerous, polluting, noisy, machines.
Today they set speed records on the routes Timmins-Toronto and Toronto-Montreal.
Weather pretty bad on the Montreal-Teterboro route, but they will try to make it during the night.