PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - David Hempleman-Adams overflies Cape Columbia
Old 14th Jul 2004, 21:55
TonyR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like a fun outing, and I'd love to do it... but "challenge" is not really the appropriate word
For those of you who have not been too far from home it may seem a little too easy.

This flight may not be a first and I know nothing about it.

I do however have a little experience in both North and South America all be it over 20 years ago when I had less sense than I have now. I also found a new definition of an airstrip in Peru, ("land on the flat bit at the bottom of the hill, keep up speed and you will need full power to taxi to the top" ) in a C206 at 10,000 feet

If I were to ask you to fly from Lands End to Wick following the West coast and there were no suitable landing strips along the entire route, how many of you would set off tomorrow morning, knowing that if you had a problem, the landing would be on a mountain side, forest or in the water.

Don't be too hard on anyone that is willing to set off on an 11,000 odd mile flight, it might not be as easy as you think.

If ShenziRubani wants to tell us about it that's fine by me, 1 thread would be enough though.

Tony