PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PFA Rally
Thread: PFA Rally
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2004, 15:42
G-KEST

Awesome but Affordable

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Flew down Thursday pm in fairly unpleasant weather via Rendcomb to see my daughter. Got a magic AFIS service on final with a crosswind gusting to 25 knots at 80 degrees to the runway. The AFISO gave me a continuous broadcast of wind off the anemometer so I could check I was inside my personal limits. Nice B&B in Nailsworth.
Friday great, meeting loads of friends and making new ones. Trade exhibition definately down on previous years but some gems among the tat. Same with aircraft where the numbers were down - anyone flying VFR in a light aircraft especially if not IMC rated would have thought twice about coming on the basis of the TAF's and METARS. In actual fact it was never that bad but after all we were there already. Mark Jefferies excellent display in the EXXON sponsored Extra 300S was all above board and sanctioned by both the CAA and PFA operations.
Saturday was similar in terms of weather and visitors but all seemed to be having a reasonable time with some enjoyable bits.
Flew out 0740 Sunday back to EGBG in order to drive down to Legends.where my warbird passions were totally sublimated with an absolutely brilliant show.
All in all a weekend that would be hard to beat.
Thanks all involved at the PFA - especially Penny who put her all into it.
Whatever you think this was the biggest number of light aircraft you are likely to see over three days in the UK this year.
Long may it continue but I am certain there will be changes in time for "FLYING FOR FUN 2005" which may well be the new focus for the PFA rally.
Trapper 69

Just checked my own logbook prompted by the thought that my first PFA rally was a fair while ago. It was 1958 at Little Snoring when the, then, Fakenham Flying Group hosted a rally which attracted all of 22 aircraft, 5 of which were our own. Harold Best-Devereux, John Blake, Norman Jones along with a Tiger Club contingent and Roy Mills were there along with 4 aircraft from "le Reseau de Sport del\'Air". We had a great time with several bi-lingual check outs on each others aeroplanes then a fabulous dinner held at the USAF Sculthorpe Officers Club. The booze was at duty free rates and flowed in gallons. Oh..! the hangover was stupendous on the Sunday morning. A memorable occasion followed by so very many more including those halcyon events at Sywell, Leicester, Cranfield and Wroughton.
Thanks indeed for all those memories and friends some of whom are long gone.
PFA no matter what its shortcomings is THE flying organisation that fights for the chance for all of us to fly for fun, many of us in aircraft we ourselves have built at the lowest possible cost. That is not to denigrate the BMAA or the BGA who also do a grand job but for those who fly "conventional" light aircraft the PFA is it.
The PFA AGM is to be held in the near future and there are a fair number of new faces putting up for the EC (Executive Committee). Why not come along to voice your praises and any grievances face to face. It is a democratically run organisation and the members get the chance to vote for the guys they think will make the best job of it.
Well thats it from a grey bearded geriatric old fart who has been in GA as P1 for a half century and loved nearly every minute of it.
Cheers,
Trapper 69