PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus: A380 has a weight problem
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2004, 11:00
Flip Flop Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
747Focal

Fair enough, but your endless tirade of mocking the A380 is getting a little old hat.

As for the evacuation test, I'm sure that Airbus will follow the rules to the letter, officially that is, whilst ensuring that the test dummies being used have been properly vetted before being allowed to jump off the upper deck. As such, I have little in the way of worries that they will indeed go down the slide in something resembling order. In real life, I have little doubt that when faced between a raging fire snipping at your ar*e and a jump down a black hole to safety, the black hole will win.

Actually, I've read in FI that Airbus plans a full evacuation test of the A380 "breaking with tradition" whatever that means. I'm not by a long shot an expert in evac certification requirements. Also read that the computer simulations of evacuations are within 3%ish of actual timings.

As for the 7E7 tail, your story about it being efficient is opposite to what I've read, but who cares. It is interesting to read in FI this week, that John Lehay, CCO of Airbus, stated something along the lines of "nobody ever told me they bought our aircraft because it was pretty" or words to the same effect.

Finally, speaking of the 7E7, Airbus claims that it will not be much cheaper, or actually more expensive depending on how you calculate it, to operate than an A332. However, they're quietly talking to GE and RR about the possibility of fitting the bleed version of the 7E engines to a so far unofficial A332 Lite, which indicates to me that they're being a bit economical with the truth re. operating costs A332 v 7E7. Boeing have been told, it also says in FI, that the GE and RR engines can be modified for a bleed system for possible installation on a possible 747 Advanced. Could be interesting, a bleed version of the GENX and Trent 1000, both for Boeing on the 747 Advanced and Airbus on the A330.

I for one am very pleased that Boeing is finally putting a new a "revolutionary" product on the market, and am looking forward to seeing what response Airbus will have. Competition is good!