PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristol ATPL groundschool
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2004, 21:02
no sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My answers for your questions:

When the choice about choosing a groundschool comes up, i have been thinking about Bristol, as their distance learning material looks outstanding (do they offer fulltime groundschool aswell?).

NS Answer: No, they do not.

Is anyone doing their training at EFT, and have choosen Bristol ?

NS Answer: Can’t comment. Although there was a bloke on my course who was from a school in the US (florida) doing exactly what you are planning to do.

What I am concerned about, is that EFT has only set aside 6½ months for the ATPL groundschool, but reading on Bristols homepage they say, that the duration is from 8-12 months (including brushup courses). Anyone have some input about this ? how can this be ?

NS Answer: On my Bristol course, there were quite a few studying full-time. Generalising, people were taking about 8-12 weeks for module 1. Some people were completing module 2 in a quicker time frame. I think you could do it in a total of 16 weeks, plus 4 weeks for the brush up quite comfortably.

Also, if i choose Bristol distance learning from Florida, ofcourse i would have to travel back and forth alot of times...8 flights in total between europe and the US in the 2 years of education. But if one are to fail 1 or more of the exams, how long is it before you can resit it ?

NS Answer: You would only need to make 2 trips as far as I can see. One for each of the modules. Those who were studying in the States and who were on my course came across for three weeks – 2 weeks for the crammer, and the third for the exams. Of course, don’t plan on failing any subject is the easiest route, but if you do you can re-sit at any of the subsequent sittings held at the begining of each month. Depending on the subject you fail would determine when to re-sit. If you fail 1 subject, it would be realistic to start module 2, and then sit that exam when you sit the module 2 exams.

it says on their page, that the exams are held once each month. Does that mean i would have to wait 1 month before i could try that exam again ?

NS Answer: Yes, this is correct. But, you have a limited number of attempts: 6 visits in total to the exam hall, and up to four sittings for each subject. If you don’t, you have to re-sit all 14. Use your re-sits wisely!

And what to do in that month ?..just sit in the UK twiddle thumbs and reading up on the subject, or back to US and pay air tickets once again, or is it possible to start module 2, although some exams are still missing from module 1 ?

NS Answer: As indicated earlier, it’s going to depend on the subjects failed. I just hoped for the best, and started module 2 right away. Those I know who failed a subject or two are going to re-sit them with module 2 subjects. I would plan to head back to the US on the Friday after the exams (they finish on the Thursday).

As the student visa for flight training only last 2 years, and the training in the US is scheduled for 7 months, the ATPL ground school for 6½ months, and flying up hours as an instructor for the rest of the time. Suddenly using 8-12 months on ATPL plus perhaps 2 months of waiting for new exams if failing 1 or more in each of the 2 modules, would leave only 3 months for gathering hours in the end, and therefore loosing the entire point of going to EFT in the first place. Any thoughts about this ?

NS Answer: There was a thread here the other day regarding this point. However, the chap I mentioned earlier was flying for a bit in the day, and spending 5-6 hrs per day studying, or something like that. I think I’d prefer this route, since those ATPLs can get mind numbingly boring and frustrating. On the other hand, you could just to the DL and ATPLs before you go to the US.

I am going out of my mind as to grasp this whole thing...and cant seem to find out how it works.

NS Answer: Any clearer now?