PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PFA Rally
Thread: PFA Rally
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2004, 19:28
Peeking Duck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rally Days

Just checked my first log book and I first flew into my first Cranfield PFA Rally on the 7/7/1984 on the way back from touring in France, we had to divert to Old Warden as the Airshow was due to start and flew in afterwards my Chariot for this event was a Cessna 172n G-BHAN club A/C; as Chippy G-BCSL was already there of which I had a share. Since then I have flown numerous A/C to the Rally from Luton Minors to PITTS S1, and I can honestly say that last weekend had to be the worst.

This time after browsing the stalls (30 mins) we took off after only two hours at the event, just before the Airshow(?) Started.

Those that have compared this event with IAT and even the Silverstone GP are on a different planet to most people who attended.
As some one just mentioned Billed as the BIGGEST
FLY-IN OUTSIDE OF THE USA, just does not cut it anymore, long gone are the days that 2000 A/C turned up. ENTRY FEES have to be a factor. But there are those that will bury their head in the sand to this view.

Last year was not bad. Even so I have to agree with the criticism so far.

At one of the EC meetings ten years ago the motion came up to change the name of the PFA (which still comes up as Professional Footballers Association on every search engine "Nuff said") To something that would attract PILOTS, I say that again PILOTS.

99% of glider pilots join the BGPA and the same with BMPA and BWPA and all parachutists join the BPA. PFA means nothing in 2004. Sorry guys but it's true, which is why only a small percentage of registered PPL’s joining.

AOPA I believe should be stronger and as mentioned recently in PILOT MAG, AOPA in EUROPE combining all countries; has the potential of 200,000 members, Now that’s a lobby group that could take a lesson from AOPA USA.

I am not anti PFA on the contrary; I even have the rather expensive PFA Credit card and stick the Rally sticker in my log book every time and as previous mentioned was an active member at grass roots.

BUT as in allot of organisations we have people that behave like TRAFFIC WARDENS with new hats (or John Prescot, which ever seems appropriate) in charge that choose to concentrate on things that will not help the long term survival of the PFA.

2008 will be a crisis but I see nothing happening to try and change the loss of permits, apart from the proposed two-year extension to 2010. Where does that leave people building aircraft now??

Any way the original posting now seems to have produced a healthy debate that I hope the EXCEC takes notice of!!