PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dubai departures/delays
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2004, 18:26
Radar Pete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi FT and a very good day to you.

If I may, just a few observations:

1. Wind changes - quite a factor in our industry, one wonders how the Heathrows, JFK's et al manage through runway changes??? I do have a TWR and APP rating as well. When I worked those disciplines I was well versed in local weather patterns and phenomena (drilled into me during training) to ensure that a runway change (due to wind) was timed effectively. This was done by monitoring various aspects of the METAR and tower observations (local conditions). When 'The Signs' were there we planned a suitable time to swing the RWY in order to have a minimal impact on the traffic.

So some watches are better at sticking to the letter to the law and some better at working within it's constraints.
What are you saying here? Some ATC's are good and others are not? IFACTA and many other unions worldwide are bemoaning the fact that ATC's are not treated as professionals and here in one sentence you kill their fight. If we are to be considered professional then we should approach the job as such. Every time there is a thread about Dubai ATC others are blamed. Strange isn't it that mostly all the threads about ATC in the ME is about the service in Dubai.

This should never be a them and us thing, or who is better. Faults lie within all ATS structure. Some need to work harder and more diligently at sorting them out. Yes even Bahrain and Canada have problems as does NATS.