PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristol ATPL groundschool
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2004, 16:43
D-Wolf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bristol ATPL groundschool

Hi there.

I am about to embark on this education as a pilot.
So far i am thinking about starting on the EFT facility in Florida.

When the choice about choosing a groundschool comes up, i have been thinking about Bristol, as their distance learning material looks outstanding (do they offer fulltime groundschool aswell?).
Is anyone doing their training at EFT, and have choosen Bristol ?
What I am concerned about, is that EFT has only set aside 6½ months for the ATPL groundschool, but reading on Bristols homepage they say, that the duration is from 8-12 months (including brushup courses). Anyone have some input about this ? how can this be ?

Also, if i choose Bristol distance learning from Florida, ofcourse i would have to travel back and forth alot of times...8 flights in total between europe and the US in the 2 years of education. But if one are to fail 1 or more of the exams, how long is it before you can resit it ?
it says on their page, that the exams are held once each month. Does that mean i would have to wait 1 month before i could try that exam again ? And what to do in that month ?..just sit in the UK twiddle thumbs and reading up on the subject, or back to US and pay air tickets once again, or is it possible to start module 2, although some exams are still missing from module 1 ?

As the student visa for flight training only last 2 years, and the training in the US is scheduled for 7 months, the ATPL groundschool for 6½ months, and flying up hours as an instructor for the rest of the time. Suddenly using 8-12 months on ATPL plus perhaps 2 months of waiting for new exams if failing 1 or more in each of the 2 modules, would leave only 3 months for gathering hours in the end, and therefore loosing the entire point of going to EFT in the first place.
Any thoughts about this ?

I am going out of my mind as to grasp this whole thing...and cant seem to find out how it works.
Hope to hear some good answers.

Thank you for your time reading this.

Dennis