PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All Things EMA
Thread: All Things EMA
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2004, 14:21
Flip Flop Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UPS Superhub EMA

Sounds interesting, but ain't there a couple of hurdles like:

a/ It's not on the continent, which means that integrating rail/air/road (which is one criteria for a superhub) is going to get difficult. For an express carrier, trucking for more than 3 hours is prohibitive. Effectively this means that all freight from the continent must be flown in. CGN if far better located for an integrated superhub.

b/ EMA is single runway; if that runway for some reason is closed you're basically f.ed. Winter ops could also wreck havoc on a single runway operation.

FWIW, the yellow brigade that has me on the payroll are also having superhub ideas, namely in Leipzig. However, before that takes off there are a number of requirements including an autobahn upgrade, construction of a second runway and rail access. Furthermore, LEJ is far more conveniently located, compared to anywhere in the UK, not only for western Europe, but indeed for the fast growing emerging markets in eastern Europe. For our part, EMA takes 3rd place after BRU and CGN, and eventually 4th when/if LEJ kicks off. There is lots of business to be had in the UK, but any hub there is rather limited to offer anything but UK traffic. Same with BGY hub; it's Italy and south eastern Europe only. Indeed, a hub is needed in the UK for any serious integrator, but I can't see how a superhub can be justified.

Just my 2 Euro's worth ....