PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thrust generated by winglets?
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2004, 01:45
john_tullamarine

Received 111 Likes on 71 Posts
Interestingly, the idea of wingtip flow control devices (excluding endplate devices) did not start with Whitcomb .. it had been a research topic for quite some time. As an undergraduate in the late 60s/early 70s I was exposed to some of the research being done by aerodynamics academics at one particular institution. One such chap tried his best to pressure me into making the subject of my final year thesis the aerodynamics of a rather strange-looking in-cruise device which he had dreamt up over a beer one night ... made that Scissorhand chap's appliance look rather puny ... Indeed, he had an intent, if the research showed promise, to investigate trialling a prototype on an F27.

The Whitcomb solution, though, is a rather elegant (both in the engineering sense as well the marketing ploy used in some areas) outcome of the various research efforts which preceded it.

Actually, what this thread really is saying .. is that we should all do a lot more sailing ... anyone down my neck of the woods is welcome to come along and look at how the sail on a nice little boat works .. see Keith's earlier discussion ... it becomes quite a tightrope exercise when pointing high into wind .. but the fact of the matter remains .. although rig layout and other things exert a material effect, sailing vessels have no great trouble sailing somewhat into wind.

Last edited by john_tullamarine; 13th Jul 2004 at 02:09.