PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PFA Rally
Thread: PFA Rally
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2004, 12:33
Genghis the Engineer

Received 50 Likes on 26 Posts
I enjoyed myself, although only one chance to try out a new aeroplane in 3 days was a tad dissapointing That one was fun though, and I live in hope of getting a go in the Supermarine Mk.26 one day

I quickly lost track of the number of times that I heard the phrase "twenty five pounds" in a rising tone of voice. Appreciating that there were substantial discounts for PFA members, these weren't all that clearly pre-publicised, nor did there seem to have been an option for people to join and get the difference back. Certainly I've heard of a lot of people who didn't come because of the cost - I certainly met virtually nobody who could be described as "general public" - that I think is a great shame at a GA event of this size.

Surprised more wasn't made of the private fast jets, Bristol Aero-Collection, etc. on site. It wouldn't have been hard to put a static display on as part of the overall event.

Far less traders than previously; I heard from several that the stand fees were up 40%, which would tend to explain that. I have to say, I'm not sure that the Vodaphone bus was a fair exchange for the rather charming "ladies tent" of previous years.

Also, surely the PFA, which is trying to persuade the world that it isn't the "microlight unfriendly" organisation some think it is, wasn't being very clever in segregating most of the microlights to the other side of the airfield at the end of a shuttle-bus?

Lastly, publicity for the forums was poor - it was there in the rally programme, but very little in advance so, for example, anybody desperate to hear about the Magnum but coming on Sunday would have been very dissapointed. Having given a few forum lectures in the past, and chaired a couple this year, I find it dissapointing when the great and good of GA are prepared to give up the considerable time to prepare a talk, that the utmost isn't made of it.

Which all sounds very negative, so on the positive side:-

- Lots of aeroplanes to see, including a few new types.
- Safety, access to flightline, FOD control seems to have been all handled very well.
- The weather was just about flyable throughout, although it was certainly never tee-shirt weather.
- Catering was superb (although a few more bins around the eating area would have been a good idea).
- Nice to see the aviation related childrens activities going on.
- Very easy to get in and out by car; much less hard work than ever before.

Overall, it won't go down as the best rally in the PFA's history, but it was safe and fun, with lots to see.

G