PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Proper Cruise Settings
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2004, 16:15
Flyin'Dutch'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with you (this is getting boring now!) about the pressures there are on time etc and that some PPL studes do not further their own case by arriving unprepared so they are not ready to take in what is on offer.

However how much effort and time does it cost to pull out the mixture knob during the cruising along during the NavEx and teaching studes on how that bit is done?

Or how about filling up after you get back from your XCs and showing the discrepancy (if any ) between calculations and real burn?

Whilst touring is what many PPL's would like to do
The red bold bits are mine.

Ask what a lot of PPL wanabees want to do with their ticket. I think they broadly fall into 2 categories.

1. Those who want it to be their stepping stone to CPL/ATPL etc
2. Those that want to go for lunches to nice places/abroad.

The current system does not prepare people for the latter category. THat is why they your assessment of what happens is true:
, the vast majority turn up, fly around in circles for an hour, land and go home. Rarely do they go touring any great distance.
Usually for a year or two, then get bored and hang their headsets and licence up to get dusty and stop flying.

Big shame, can be changed but would need a concerted effort from all in aviation, but that is another soapbox.

FD