PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Proper Cruise Settings
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2004, 15:19
Flyin'Dutch'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wholeheartedly agree that doing some sensible approximations are just fine when doing your fuel calculations but that can only be done after you have acquainted yourself with the knowledge and experience required to do it properly.

Building in fudge factors may seem a good idea but as with doing adding a few knots here and there on the approach may well land you into more trouble (as in the far hedge)

The point I am making is that this essential and basic knowledge like fuel managament is not something most PPLs students get conveyed appropriately during their training, nor that of leaning.

I won't rise to the bait of questioning my instructional technique as it isn't worth bothering with
That is fine of course but it was you and HWD (who seems to have disappeared in the wide blue yonder) that wrote that my statement about lack of experience amongst instructors was inaccurate and insulting.

So far we have not had hords of folks coming out of the woodwork claiming that they were up to speed on these matters which are arguably essential and can not take more than 30mins of instructional time and should be integrated in the entire flying syllabus.
I will say that I try to be one of the toughest instructors you'll ever meet
Good luck to you and your pupils.

In my books 'toughest' does not equate to 'best'

FD

PS: You wrote:
I assume that you fly the same a/c all the time
Which amply demonstrates that assumptions can be dangerous, not just in fuel planning!