PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Proper Cruise Settings
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2004, 14:15
Say again s l o w l y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep, insulting and inaccurate quite a feat for one sentence.

Power settings and fuel flows, look in the POH. I always teach and use the highest expected FF.
To be totally blunt, don't muck about with exact figures, put as much fuel in as you can possibly take to stay within W&B limits and go and enjoy yourself.
However, I would generally use a couple of figures- a high speed cruise figure (since that what I usually bomb about at) and a minimum expected FF. The second would be for my own mind in case of diversion and if neccessary holding.

If you are on a long route work out how much you need using a slightly higher than book figure and then stick on certain% more.
Older, near time expired engines will usually use more fuel than the book says anyway, so give yourself a decent reserve and you won't go far wrong. 45 mins+Diversion fuel and then a final reserve of say 10-20L.(Obviously this depends on what a/c you are in. 20L in a C310 isn't a huge amount of use! Whereas a C150 it's loads.)

Having a decent totaliser does make a big difference, but keep an eye on the fuel guages and check along route how much you have compared to what you need. If it looks a little tight, land and refuel, if not carry on. This is all common-sense like most things in aviation to be honest.

The only time you can have too much fuel is when you're on fire!

Last edited by Say again s l o w l y; 11th Jul 2004 at 14:27.