PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do we avoid fatalities?
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2004, 09:13
shortstripper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmmm.

First, I to believe that the perception is far higher than the actual risk. That doesn't excuse us from lessening them further though. However, I think that gizmos are not the way to go as they are both expensive, a non starter in many aircraft and only serve to lower our gaurd. Most accidents in flying have nothing to do with hitting other aircraft anyway, so who are we trying to kid? As the mid-air is the most emotive I will deal with that, but I kind of think that we fear it most because we think it's going to be caused by the "other guy" not us (yer right! ) whereas weather related accidents ect are our own stupid faults so we like to gloss over those.

Whilst it has happened in the past, do you not wonder why more mid-airs do not happen in the circuit?

All the fancy gizmos would be buzzing away and of little use in this hot spot of aerial activity and yet? .... people seem to think they are this wonderful thing that will cover their aircraft in cotton wool. Redsnail hit the nail on the head "good situational awareness and a good lookout" is the most important factor in avoiding a mid-air. In the circuit we are all sht scared of hitting someone so our lookout and awareness of other traffic is well honed. Enroute we tend to relax and lookout is often lowered whilst nav, radio and gizmo tinkering is increased ... that is a major factor IMHO.

I well remember as a glider pilot seeing plenty of GA aircraft fly straight over the club at no more than 1000' when winch launches got to 1300' ... so where was their situation awareness of even fixed hazards??? (they only had to check their map before setting off!!!). People moan about not seeing gliders, but the one thing I can tell you is that most glider pilots will have seen you as their lookout is sht hot compared to most GA pilots. Yes they do have collisions on rare occassion so they are not perfect, but they operate in a proximity to others that would have most of us trembling.

I think we need to lookout more, avoid flying at busy levels by choosing random heights, be aware of what is around (radio?) and what is shown on your chart!

Safe flying all!!!

SS