PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Madrid Barajas Runways
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2004, 00:57
Plumaveloz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello to everybody,
Madrid Barajas is one of the busiest airports in Europe. Last june 29th had a new movements´ record, over 1.200. As many of you allready know, the taxi from the southern cargo area takes much time. For the last three years, AENA (Aeropuertos Españoles y Navegación Aérea) has been developing the "Plan Barajas" which
involves the creation of two new runways 36R/18L and 33R/15L. It will also have a new terminal Building just in between the four runways that, for sure, will short the taxi times.
All this causes controller job to be more difficult at actual time, not only on the approaches, but also on the apron zone. There are too many ground movements involving trucks and other machinery that are not used and experienced on airports phraseology. Their english speaking abilities may be also lower than those expected for a pilot!!. Some of the taxiways have to be closed from time to time, due to operations. Read carefully the NOTAM´s to avoid incidents. Everything should be finished by 2005 first quarter. Here are some more pics
I am sad to hear that pilots think the spanish controllers "give way" to local operators. Our first task as ATCs is to grant security, and I feel that most of us look forward that objective. There are always exexptions, but I truly believe that just a few. If you contact any of the controllers in Mad App, I am quite sure they will invite to visit Torrejon ACC, where you can see the whole picture of the approach. Have any of you ever visit that facilitie? Everytime I fly, I try to get into the cockpit. Even after september 11th, I made it most of the times. I have learned something new in every single trip. To get to know each other is the best way to respect the other´s one job.
Regards,

Ángel

Last edited by Plumaveloz; 11th Jul 2004 at 01:21.