PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Proper Cruise Settings
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2004, 20:25
Flyin'Dutch'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm interested in knowing what you think about the way most PPLs seem to be taught about cruise power settings.
The bare basics, if that. Most instructors have barely been outside the circuit or even know how to teach leaning.

Study the POH and ask questions if things are not clear seems to be the way to learn these things.
Also on a very hot day or at higher altitudes, the 'normal' cruise settings can easily exceed the highest recommended cruise settings, and this isn't good for the engine.
Hot and high means that the engine will produce less power so adjust as per POH.
There was an accident not too long ago because someone flew a C152 at 2500rpm and ended up runing out of fuel, his explanation was that he usually flies PA28s and he confused the power settings
Unfortunately no instant cure for this or instant injection of commons sense available (yet!)

I think most people will work out what power setting they want to use and work out airspeed and fuel burn out from that.
I would be grateful if you could explain how you can vary power and airspeed to take advantage of head/tailwinds.
Broadly speaking you want to fly as short as possible in a headwind and as long as possible in a tailwind so adjust your powersettings for that. Have to say that most folks I think just go for a few standard settings and stick to those.

HTH

FD