PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tax Exemption - Lobby your MP
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2004, 20:29
WorkingHard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oggin Aviator - I was part of the team that produced the "Military Salary" all those years ago and the principles we held then still hold good today. It is VERY UNFORTUNATE that the principles have been hijacked, it seems to me, by senior personnel for their own benefit at the expense of other ranks; and I don't mean just "other ranks"
Many of the decisions are made by senior officers for stamping by the Treasury and as there is a finite amount of money any proposals that may affect those earnings, tax free or otherwise, at the top will be discarded by "suggestion" to the Treasury. The old LOA was always tax free and substantial for example and was recognised to be a way of "compensating" for being away from home soil. there are other examples that may have disappeared with the passage of time, I am out of touch now.
However we could list a few thing that are NOT available in civvy street: Education allowances, subsidised housing (may not be to your taste but is there), pensions, medical, dental, early retirement, generous leave, (is free travel with leave still there?) etc etc. As for hotels etc you quote, some are good but some!! you might prefer the tent and as the airlines get special rates the hotels dont always provide what you see in the brochure. And then there are the rosters - you might not like them. Yes I do speak from experience since until acouple of years ago I worked for one of them. Very happy with my retirement from both sides and no complaints about either.