PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Don your hard hats!!
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2004, 16:06
Wide-Body

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think Seaguls statistics are slightly out, however his sentiment is not. The original pink aic quoted, 80 percent of accidents involving fatalities or serious head injuries would be avoided with appropriate head gear. The latest aic Pink 175(101/98) states that 5 DEATHS would have been avoided if helmets had been worn. For commercial pilots the CAA will suspend your licence for a considerable time as a result of a head injury.

Pulse 1. Alpha make a pax helmet that is designed to fit varying headshapes.

Parachutes, I use Russian chutes, bloody heavy but will low altitude deploy 500ft (just ask a Sukhoi 26 pilot in Spain. FNG has it spot on, the practicality is in being able to leave the a/c. Doesn’t the Cessna 150 Aerobat have jettisonable doors. As for getting out of a normal aircraft in a chute, is probably pointless.

As in most of flying, safety equipment is a matter of risk management. As I fly older or aerobatic aircraft (Chipmunk-YAK) I wear Kevlar Bonedome, nomex flying suit and gloves. I also don’t tend to flyover large stretches of water. However I am a big girls blouse.

As in all of these cases, present the facts and let the adults make the decision.

Regards

Wide