PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Flights banned due US terrorist attacks
Old 12th Sep 2001, 09:53
Ignition Override

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy

Regarding having fighter jets patroling over cities, whether in the US or elsewhere: what if a plane here in the US were hijacked to Cuba, or Minnesota? If the crew had the normal **** in the trans*** and were enroute at altitude, we can't just allow a plane to shoot it down when it turns away from its cleared route.

There was a rumour today that an "Army missile" or whatever, had shot down the B-757 which crashed in western Pennsylvania, apparently after some sort of struggle. Thank s maybe to the crew and the Almighty, it did not reach its target.

How would the Army(?) in Pennsylvania, or the Navy/Air Force jets over New York City today have visually identified a hostile approach, until a pilot saw a jet in a steep dive? Any downed large plane over a city would kill numerous people on the ground, would it not?

It still seems like I woke up to a terrible new movie on television with realistic special effects, and it never stops. No matter how many times, even one kamikazi airliner seems unreal. My thoughts to so many thousands of families.

If we are ever sure who the cowardly criminals are, a suitable swift response is critical-the heck with world opinion. The terrorists never consulted the UN for a vote. I can name one country which always takes action, and its neighbors never forget this fact. The only thing which unifies the neighbors is common hatred (and respect for the decisiveness) of this small country.

[ 12 September 2001: Message edited by: Ignition Override ]