PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BMI's Hailstorm damage- Radar turned off!
Old 8th Jul 2004, 10:46
fireflybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>Yes, it would be interesting to know the background and experience level of the crew. But would it make flights safer? Would it decrease the likelihood of the same thing happening in future? Or would it just be to give people a feeling of smug self-righteousness?<

Young Paul, I think we are both coming at it from the same angle but I think "background and experience level" can and do make a difference in the sense that attitudes taught at the basic training level can have a big effect later on. That is not to say that someone who is very experienced is never going to get into a spot of bother, of course!

The training staff themselves must also have suitable background, experience and ability to teach said matters to trainees.

It is my perception (and by the way this is not pointed at BMI or any particular airline) that many of the tried and tested ways of doing things are steadily being watered down and having a damaging effect on flight safety. Things like number of sectors of line training spring to mind, all in the cause of "economy" - there certainly isn't much money saved in the event of an incident like this one.