PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mobile Phone ringing on Take Off
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2004, 19:41
White Bear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chickenscanfly,
I do not wish to argue with you sir, so please look upon my comments as more of a discussion point.

I know a 'jet' engine is not the same as a 'car' engine, but I do know a little about the latter. In as much as the 'jet' engine is an 'internal combustion engine' the control function of it's computer (ECM) cannot be all that different from a cars ECM. Air/fuel ratio's must be controlled, barimetric pressure, throttle position, internal temperatures must all be monitored, adjustments made etc. My point is most cars made today use what is, to all intents and purposes, a FADEC engine control system. Even the throttle is a drive by wire. Yet they remain unaffected by mobile phone use (sadly the same cannot be said of the phone user). Most of the time these phones are in use a very few feet from the engine ECM, and also close to the many other microprocessors used to operate a multitude of other systems installed in modern cars, including GPS navigation systems.

Surely an aero engine, it's ECM, and associated wiring harness are built to a much higher quality standard than a mass produced car? The use of shielded wiring to prevent unwanted R/F incursions from it's own onboard systems, much more powerful than a mobile phone, must be a given. One would expect them to be as unaffected as the above mentioned mass produced car.

One related question I have is this. What happens when a group aircraft are lined up awaiting takeoff clearence? All have their very powerful systems turned on, strong radio transmissions going to and fro, weather radar, and I'm sure many other systems I know nothing about, all up and running. At this point many aircraft are only a few hundered feet apart. Surely if an aircraft's system's are going to be affected, then with so many aircraft, so close together, and so many powerful systems all operating at the same time, in the same place, this might represent a worst case scenario for unwanted R/F input. Is there any evidence to suggest this happens?

If not, and given the mobile phone is a tiny little transmission in this crowded environment of high powered equipment, how could such a weak signal represent such a large threat?

Regards,
White Bear.