PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid air over Hertfordshire
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2004, 10:12
tonyhalsall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tony R

<<There has been an increase in VLA and Microlights (perhaps we should ban them)JOKE and with the lower skill level involved in pilot trainning, combined with a cockpit full of stuff to look at, many pilots don't look outside.>>

Not sure about your comments re micro / VLA pilots and a lower skill level - presumably you refer to NPPL.

Just the sort of divisive comment to split the flying community. To be frank, most micro pilots I know achieve 100+ hours a year rely totally on VFR and are exceptional pilots displaying great airmanship. More than can be said for Club renters who stay current with 10/12 hours a year and are distracted with electronic nav aids and other 'in cockpit' toys.

The crash yesterday sickened me to the stomach as it would any individual and the thought of rotor blades and flex wing pilots is enough to give anyone nightmares. Praise the heli pilot for getting down safely and deepest sympathy for the micro pilot and passenger. But please don't start suggesting that the fault is at the door of the NPPL or perceived poor skills of the micro pilot.

Maybe an unfortunate choice of words, but Tony - that didn't come across too well to me and smacked of laying the blame before an investigation has even started

Tony (H)