PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The end of B737-200HK operations in Europe
Old 7th Jul 2004, 09:54
Thunderball 2
The Aquatone Article

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The end of B737-200HK operations in Europe

I've come across a number of categorical, sweeping assertions in this Forum to the effect that "all B737-200s must be phased-out across Europe by the end of March 2005".

Who says so, folks? Certainly not the Noise Certification people at the CAA - they've recently told me that there is no EU legislation in place or in drafting that would mandate the grounding of hush-kitted Stage III aircraft in the EU. There was an EC Directive that would have killed them on March 31st 2002, but that was overturned by US pressure. In its place individual airports were given the legal means to promolgate a local ban on "marginally compliant Stage III aircraft" if they could prove that the local environmental impact of the operation of these aircraft (which would include MD80s?) was an issue for them. But no-one I've spoken to in the airport operator community is that interested - there are so few "offending" aircraft around.

So "if any person knows of any just cause why B737-200s should not fly on into the future in the UK let them speak now, or forever hold their peace" (or should that be piece?!). Perhaps someone from European would like to comment?

[That is setting-aside the introduction of Stage IV of course]