PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aviation growth 'risk to planet'
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2004, 22:30
Jemy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to say that maybe we should take one step back and think of where our industry will be in 30 or so years. What cannot be denied is that fossil fuels will run out eventually and we need to think of what we shall do for transport in the future. Are the aircraft and engine manufacturers considering other forms of propulsion rather than the jet engine?

I often think when taking 300 passengers to the sun in Florida, is it is really worth burning 50 or so tonnes of Jet A1 (pumping exhaust gasses directly into the upper atmosphere) to provide recreation and fun for so few people?

The free market economy should decide where scarce resources should be allocated. For governments to interfere with the free market by effectively subsidising fuel, the forces of demand and supply do not produce an equilibrium ticket price, or equilibrium flight quantity.

In my opinion, the transport infrastructure in the UK is substandard and antiquated, (LHR is a national disgrace). Just look at the fantastic high speed trains which run on the continent, the well thought out airports elsewhere in the world and the road systems found in countries such as Spain and Germany. We really do let ourselves down.

I would suggest that this country needs a completely INTEGRATED transport system, not a bit of road here, a small airport extension there, a tram system in a couple of cities and cheap aircraft fuel to stimulate the aviation industry. The planning of such a system should look far into the future and consider who will use it, how often, and most importantly, how will it be fuelled.