PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shuttleworth Collection 1930's Airshow 4th July 2004 - A Few Photos
Old 5th Jul 2004, 19:58
Captain Airclues
Just another number

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe that the first photo is of the Miles Hawk Speed Six. Several years ago I was at Booker when the new owner was trying to start it prior to the flight to its new home at Fairoaks. Watching the procedings was an elderly gentleman who was offering a few words of advice to the pilot.
It turned out that this gentleman was Ron Paine, who had bought the aircraft when new (1935?) had stored it in a London garage during the war and had competed in several Kings Cup races in the 50's. In 1950 he set the 100km speed record for the class. He was one of the founders of Derby Airways. We spent over an hour chatting about the aircraft and his flying adventures while the new owner tried (unsuccessfully) to get it started. I would love to know if Mr Paine is still alive. a search on the internet only shows a reference to him in 2001. I have some photos of him standing next to DGP at Booker, but I don't have the technical ability to publish them.

Airclues