PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC and TCAS ????
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2004, 12:22
BOPralph

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A lot of good info and you lot have obviously thought about this issue in depth. I would suggest that if the readers and writers here are on the recieving end of a TCAS event, the outcome will be an incident report and nothing worse (maybe a few red faces depending on the dynamics that caused the kit to activate).

But do I have to read PPrune or the Ueberlingen and JAL accident reports before I start flying round in a TCAS equiped aircraft? No. I get a pilots license, read the company and aircraft manuals, do the training and launch.

Yes - we are very aware of the subject at the moment - some more aware than others. But how wide spread is the awareness? And what is the impact of time as it all fades in our memory? Where is the lasting reminder that TCAS is an interdependant system requiring everyone to sing from the same hymn book?

Lets see ICAO step up to the batter's box.

ICAO needs to conduct a thorough review and rewrite of all the TCAS material. Weight needs to be given to the important elements of the system, and the information needs to be distributed in the most relevant documents.

ICAO needs to take the lead in developing internationally accepted training. This must strictly reflect the standards and procedures they have written. There are well developed training packages out there, but where is the accepted "master" TCAS training guide to measure them against?

ICAO then needs to ensure all national authorities mandate compliance with its SARPs and training requirements. This means everyone in the industry - airlines, training organisations, ATC, manufactures (aircraft and equipment) - everyone. There is no room for deviation or misinterpretation. And beware the poor translation. Get this wrong and nothing is improved.

ICAO should follow all this up by auditing everything with the letters TCAS linked to it. They don't have to do it all themselves, there are other organisations out there that can give them a hand. But once they have the SARPs agreed upon, everyone must abide by them.

I know the BFU made recommendations down these lines (I have read the whole report), but ICAO must read between the lines and realise they have to overhaul all their writings.

Was it Spike Milligan that said - "We have learnt from our mistakes and can repeat them almost perfectly".

I am sure that we will learn the hard lessons from this tragic accident, and that steps will be taken to sharpen up many areas of the industry.

Skyhawk1 - I too, will always remember what happened that night, and feel the loss that is shared by many. I know what has been learnt can be used not only to prevent a similar accident but also improve many areas of aviation safety.