PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Zakynthos - piloting procedures
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2004, 10:09
Navajo8686
Wurzel's Brother

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Zakynthos - piloting procedures

Morning all

Spent last week in a very hot and sunny Zakynthos. As I was staying in Laganas bay I was able to note many arrivals and departures from the local airport (probably the worst in Europe but that is a whole different thread!!).

I found it unusual that there did not seem to be any standard procedure for arrivals and departures.

English carriers landing from the east (i.e sea) invariably flew down the western coast, out to sea, wide descending curve around (sorry forgotten technical term for that movement) and then into the airport on a long straight final. The Swiss invariably did the same but turned on tight for short straight final. Everyone else seemed to follow the centreline of the runway out to sea then came back a short while (up to 15 minutes!) later.

When landing from the north many aircraft flew the centreline of the runway out to sea then came back a short while later at a slightly lower altitude before going back to the north to turn on for a long final. This one in particular seemed very 'fuel expensive' for no obvious benefit.

The question therefore is 'Who sets the standards or rules for approaches/departures? I was under the impression that such things were dictated by ATC but it would seem that this is not (or not always) the case. Am I right in assuming that the final decision always rests with the pilot on ATC advice?'

If this has been covered before then apologies.

Many thanks in advance

Bernie

PS - and thanks to the First Choice crew (flightdeck and cabin) from NEMA for the excellent flights both out and back.