PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qr Dec Package
Thread: Qr Dec Package
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2004, 12:34
Safari Goat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have heard about the two seniority list and to me that is a very huge "SLAP IN THE FACE" to the F/O's that have served the company and been on the property many years to then have to go junior to someone who leaves their previous company and comes to QR as a captain just because he flew 1000 hours on a medium sized jet. ( as they put it in the flight international advertisement)

i would imagine that some of these guys have no world wide experience and don't have the first idea of ETOPS, flying through time zones, glass cockpit or even FMS. Sure they get a 45 days in Toulouse France and are trained to pass the check ride and I am sure will do fine once on the line, don't get me wrong, But you know what, the first officer with the two cadet bars sitting in the right seat that has been with Qatar Airways for 2.5 to 5 years and has come from a job and been in the Qatar Airways job where he has flown all over the world and knows the middle east, Africa, Far East, Europe and Asia will baby sit this guy until he learns how to make a HF call for the first time to Mumbai or Antanarivo.

Seniority is everything to a pilot, He works hard to get over to the left seat and be a captain, this is basic 101 of being a pilot. You come to an airline for a career and to progress through the ranks and to climb to the top of " THE SENIORITY LADDER." some pilots left jobs to come to QR and join as a F/O so that they can progress and be a part of a great airline. At the interview they were told all sorts of different things that made them believe that "THIS IS THE PLACE" and now "THE GOAL POST" ( as knotaloud put it) have been moved and a new playing field is in place with different rules.

To see this Airline just bringing in pilots from other airlines and jumping the seniority list or have two seniority list is WRONG! ( in my eyes) I can see and feel the frustration of the first officers at QR and feel sorry for them.

Sure it is ok to bring in Direct entry captains in a airline that is growing rapidly and you need to fill the seats quickly. Yes, bring in someone with experience and put them in the left seat, but DON'T SLAP THE FACE of the First Officers that have given blood, sweat and tears and have been loyal to your company. WOW! that two seniority thing is BAD!............... Seniority should be "D.A.T.E O.F H.I.R.E" at the airline and when the first officer gets an upgrade (Inshallah) he would be senior for bidding vacation, upgrade to new fleet and also bidding for a monthly roster (if it ever comes)

I hate to go on but if you serve 5 years with QR and then "INSHALLAH" get an upgrade, the guy that joined a couple of days before you and was hired Direct left seat is Senior to you? Well lets do some math here. This guy finished flying school 5 years ago and was hired in an airline in his country the same day you joined QR. he flew 4 years as a F/O on a 737 or 727 at 1000 hrs a year ( 4000 hours). He then gets an upgrade to the left seat of the 737 or 727 for 1 year at 1000 hours in that year. So now he has 5000 hours and gets hired by QR and is senior to you who has been flying not only longer than him but flying longer at QR than he has flown his entire career..... ha ha ha ha ha. What a joke.......

As you put it in your closing line not registered, "things are slowly getting looked at" I hope for the sake of all at QR that the turtle will pick up some speed and get it all straight soon.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL F/O's at QR.