PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gmail, I have some invites available
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2004, 12:03
Invictus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is done by a program which screens your email for keywords then sends you relevant advertising 'spam'
This is not true....

This wonderfully large email storage is at the expense of you agreeing to receive targeted advertising.
This is true...... just like all the other free email out there.

I have been using Gmail for almost a month now. The advertising is LESS intrusive than Microsoft Hotmail or Yahoo.

YES, they do have targeted advertising, but it is discretely located on the side of the screen and is "relevant" to the context of the email. I do NOT find it to be "in the way" or an invasion of privacy.

But hey that's just me. Here is what Google says about it.

Quoted from Gmail.com

There are no pop-ups or untargeted banner ads in Gmail. Gmail users only see relevant text ads, similar to those on Google search results pages . The matching of ads to content is a completely automated process performed by computers. No humans read your email to target the ads, and no email content or other personally identifiable information is ever provided to advertisers.

Ads are matched using the same technology that powers the Google AdSense program, which already places targeted ads on thousands of sites across the web by quickly analyzing the content of pages and determining which ads are most relevant to them.
Invictus