PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Force Development Squadron
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2004, 16:50
JessTheDog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've done a bit of digging and this appears to be some good stuff mixed in with a complete load of cobblers! High ropes and expeds, tick VG! Dodgy briefs on leadership "styles" and RAF history, with a bit of drill and cabbage days, load of horse$#!t!

There is a Cranwell-hosted website on leadership with a quote that states effectively "there are innumerable leadership styles" and a brief that then tries to nail down a RAF approach. I thought my pine pole days were over!

An interesting comparison would be between leaders.... Dowding didn't "play the game" and went against the tide....he was right and proven so by history, but still got stuffed. Monty was an excellent leader but backstabber par excellence, and ended up an inadequate CIGS. Bomber Harris masterminded the strategic bombing of Germany with 50,000 lost in Bomber Command....no "Lord Harris" as there was always something unsavoury about bombing civilians, despite the sacrifices. Col Collins stole the limelight in Telic with an inspiring speech....and was stabbed in the back! Message from history....play the game and you will get ahead! Rock the boat, or become untrendy and you'd better watch your back!