PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Doesn't Pay to be a ThistleBlower at Airboos
Old 2nd Jul 2004, 16:30
GotTheTshirt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safety Guy I am not quite sure how to take the comment ( was it tongue in cheek?) but there was a very good TV program here ( Florida) on the History Channel last night.
It was regarding the United B747 that the cargo door came off as it climbed out of Honolulu.
The NTSB report ( of course helped by Boeing !) gave the cause as an improperly closed door by the cargo handlers.

A New Zealand couple ( Non -Aviation) who's son was killed on the aircraft did their own investigation.
They as layman found a series of failures that Boeing had been advised of on several occasions.
I had to admire the tenacity of these people but of course if you are not in the industry you have nothing to loose!
It took them several years and they uncovered an AD that would have fixed the problem had 18 month implementation period !
During this time another incident occured which finally made the FAA issue 30 day compliance.
The NTSB initially refused to review the original report but finally after lots of pressure they did revise it.
It just makes you think how effective the NTSB and the FAA are when a private non aviation couple can out think them !
I gues the program details may be on the History Channel website