PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MoD slammed on troop over-stretch
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2004, 13:55
BillHicksRules

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jacko,

This is probably pushing me in a direction I do not want to go but here goes.

I hardly feel that getting a days work out of someone and paying them for it, along with providing room, board and training, can be seen as discrimination.

As for what most true Brits would feel about continuing to support those unwilling to support themselves, I think they would be closer to my opinion than yours, but that is just my opinion and I have no data to support it.

Please note that I continue to refer to those unwilling. I am very aware that there will always be those who are unable to be gainfully employed due to medical conditions. However, the percentage of people claiming “on the social” that are medically incapable of working at any job is IIRC in the single figure bracket. The armed forces have thousands of non-combat roles being filled by combat trained and capable personnel. Tie this up with the millions of unemployed and there has to be some sort of solution to several problems there.

If I give you a 50-50 split of able to work to unable to work, at current numbers that still amounts to approx 500,000 bodies acting as a drain on society for no good reason.

As you say there are many innocent victims of economic pressures. These people only want to work and feel useful again. This can help them get back on their feet. Give them back some self-esteem and put them back on track.

A thought that just came to me is that during the time served by those in this scheme, every effort and opportunity should be given to them to acquire recognised qualifications that will help them back in civilian life.

As I said I am aware that this idea is not perfect but I feel it is worth pursuing further in this forum.

Thanks for your input

Cheers

BHR