PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MoD slammed on troop over-stretch
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2004, 10:35
Jackonicko

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts
pr00ne,

Regardless of the figure on the bottom line, if the spending review results in having to disband units, withdraw aircraft, ships, or other equipment without replacement, or if manpower is further reduced, or if the MoD is forced to cancel requirements, only some slimy, dishonest New Labour spin-monkey would argue that the effect was anything other than a package of cuts. Calling it a 'realignment' does not make it any such thing, any more than I'd be entitled to a rum ration if I called myself Admiral Lord Nelson.

mbga9pgf and BHR,

While there are undeniably 'workshy' scroungers among the unemployed, there are equally very many people who are the innocent victims of .... let's call it circumstance. The appalling failures in education and training, coupled with the decline of traditional industries and the lack of sensible employment creation policies in the areas affected have left many people without any prospect of work, through no fault of their own. I'm trying not to get political and blame Thatcher, here..... In any event, to discriminate against the 'deserving unemployed' would not be something which most true Brits would condone - we have a social conscience, a sense of fair play, and a rudimentary grasp of right and wrong, after all.

Pushing the unemployed into the Armed Forces is equally barking. The fact that conscripts were used in the Great War is entirely irrelevant. Most artillery was still horse-drawn and most ships employed gangs of stokers and had very young midshipmen, etc. In today's high tech forces, all-volunteer is the best way to go. There might be an argument to make benefits conditional on doing 'socially useful' work for the community, but one would have to be careful not to 'undercut' or replace real jobs, and we should surely recognise that the unemployed have a right to their dignity.