PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Chance To Take The ATPL Groundschool Course And The Gapan Tests - FOR FREE!
Old 1st Jul 2004, 20:31
InFinRetirement

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I apologise for not answering a couple of questions sooner. So here is a reply. If you still not sure do please contact me personally by e-mail the addy is in my first post.

70 hours... 78 hours.... what's the practical difference in experience. None. That's right. None. The guys here have made an arbitrary decision, for reasons that obviously suit their selection criteria (there must be a cut-off) that may or may not come to be the ruleset that passes muster. Perhaps they will be flexible. Perhaps not. Unless you submit an application you'll never know.
This is a good example. Just apply if you are a few hours over our limit. The BASIS of the required hours is purely this. The validity of the GAPAN tests are based upon people with NO hours. GAPAN then decided that with 150 hours the quality of the tests declines rapidly and has little or no value in assessing a candidates ability. That is the reason. Take it then that a high number of hours will not be favourable.

I would definately be interested but I am just outside the hour bracket with 78 hrs in the logbook, and I assume with the criteria being so strict it is a waste of time me applying. (also upping my hours this week too when I finish work) ah well never mind, good luck to those who meet the entry criteria
Quite frankly this is a cop out! Just do what others have said "apply and be damned" the worst we will do is bin your application if it is too far over the top. So others with the same view can apply too.

A piece of advice from old IFR! If you decide that you are not a fit or proper person to apply because you are a couple of hours short or a couple hours over, you are letting yourself down and giving the wrong (or maybe right) impression of yourself. Is that what you want us to think?

Is it too late to apply?

Also, I wasn't too clear about the repayment scheme. Am I right in thinking the course is free, but you have to make a £1500 contribution to the fund (payable over time) once you have employment ?
No!

You are right. The first courses are free. The subsequent courses are not and we wish to recover the money to use again and again - if we can. So.........we ask you to make a contribution to the fund of £1500 at the rate of £100 a month as your "thanks" if you like, that the fund helped you. ONLY when you are in full time employment. The five cadets the fund helped to get a job, with Astraeus, do that now at the rate of £500 a month.

If you have anymore questions e-mail me.

In the meantime, we are short of applicants and I suggest you get in there ASAP. To get you excited, and we are NOT, we have only three applications so far. We thought by this time it would be a large number.