PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC155
Thread: EC155
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2004, 06:23
Sandy Toad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Little Clarification!

When one orders an aircraft that is in development it is not possible to fly a production aircraft for evaluation or to have final performance figures. Those that were following the development of the EC155 will know that the Technical Specifications produced by Eurocopter went through several revisions. Not only did Basic Weight grow (as might be expected) but there was a significant erosion of performance shown in the graphs. Also the initial promised certification limit of +50c OAT was reduced to +40c OAT.

Whilst performance was a major concern with our aircraft, the prime reason it was returned was unreliability. One can fly when the Autopilot fails but when neither engine will start your VIP is stranded. When the electrical passenger steps fail regularly one is either limited to flying at 50kts or the Pilot has to attack and dismantle the steps - hardly compatible with VIP arrival and departures.

Given time many of our teething problems with the new aircraft may have been resolved. However we also had problems with systems/items that had functioned reliably on our 365s for years. Towards the end Eurocopter took our comments and complaints seriously and tried to address them, I believe this has helped subsequent purchasers but was too late for us.

Returning to the OAT Limitation comments. Certification flying to increase the OAT limit from the downgraded +40c was ongoing in America when we took delivery of our aircraft. We had been operating it for some 9 months before we reached the +40c limit and Eurocopter were aware we were operating beyond it. Certification proceeds slowly and being on a Government Register can have advantages.

I believe other operators have had their share of problems. We were told Eurocopter had to work with Bristow to find new Take Off Profiles for the Nigerian contract. Also via Turbomeca sources that, though never officially admitted, the engines delivered there were blueprinted to ensure maximum performance margins. Perhaps 212man can confirm the accuracy of this.

Despite all our problems, our EC155 was a very smooth, fast aircraft and often a joy to fly. I do not miss holding my breath everytime I pressed the Starter Buttons or tried to lift out of a landing site. Nor do I miss downloading all the Fault Codes after a flight only to find no one at Eurocopter knew what they meant!

Rumours suggest the projected EC155HP is no longer a runner, has anyone heard more?