PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Recruitment woes at BA.
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2004, 19:50
Airbus Girl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
476 applicants. Pass rate of 1 in 20 was quoted in an earlier posting. So that means that they'll have around 23 pilots who will come through the recruitment assessment process in one piece. 23 will eventually be offered jobs. If, say, 1 in 5 change their minds, then they might end up with around 19 pilots.

19 pilots for 127 jobs. That is just the vacancies this year. They will need some more for next year just to replace the retirees.

To recruit 108 pilots at the current pass rate they will need another 2,160 applicants.

The only way they could possibly get that many is by opening up the recruitment to non-type rated people. Are there really 2,160 frozen ATPL holders out there?

In the 2002-2003 year, there were 163 new CPL(A)s issued and 60 IRs issued. There were 1458 full ATPL(A)s issued, although presumably most of these will be current pilots who have now reached the various hours/ experience requirements for full ATPL issue.

So I think really BA will be looking at the 163 new CPL (presumably frozen ATPL) holders, although only 60 IRs so perhaps only 60 who are current. And the non type rated people flying other aircraft for other operators already. So that would be the turbo-prop/ regional jet operators (probably lots of keen pilots there, but quite a small market) and the low cost carriers whose pilots mainly have B737 type ratings.

I don't know how BA are going to get enough people through the door.

And does the BA assessment work? I personally know someone who struggles through every sim with BA and will not make it through a command course. There must be many others.

How come Virgin can recruit for the A340 and B747 with just an interview? Are all their pilots rubbish?

Perhaps BA should reconsider its assessment. If they like what they are doing then fine, but it seems like they are making a rod for their own backs.