PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss at Roissy CDG
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2004, 10:32
G-LOST

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, it was surprisingly large dog-like animal, without any clothing. Little Red Riding Hood was no-where to be seen. Poor thing looked startled - I was close enough to look it in the eye as our big bird swooped over it. Swooped is not really the right word - captain was flying - reflex action and managed to lift the wing which probably prevented fox vs tyre.

Now I think this tale has relevance.

Fox ran out from the undergrowth and was on the centreline - probably crossing the runway to grab a squashed bunny or similar.

I told ATC twice that there was a fox on the runway. It presented a reasonably big target and could forseeably have done some damage to a low slung engine or brake assembly or whatever.

ATC finally gets the message and then tells following traffic to caution the fox NEAR the runway. Obviously they didn't want anyone going around. We reiterated fox ON the runway. Well, if it had any sense it wasn't any longer, but who knows, the thing must be used to aircraft and is prepared to dart out in a gap.

I very much doubt that anyone was sent to have a look for the poor thing and dispatch it.

We then taxied in, avoiding the usual array of insane drivers and pedestrians (one in a nice suit) game enough to cross our path. I brushed up on my schoolboy French on the way, and realised that I still cannot understand a word.

Yes, CDG has an enviable safety culture.