PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mbeki flies in opulence while people are starving
Old 30th Jun 2004, 08:45
George Tower

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Prime Minister of the UK uses a chartered BA 777 for many overseas trips, John Howard the Australian PM often flies on Qantas. I'm going to get into hot water here but I will say this anyway - I believe that most African leaders are interested in their own personal vanity rather than in furthering progress in their countries.

It is against a background of corruption and nepotism that pervades most of the continent that we look at Mbeki's latest purchase and then not unreasonably take a cynical view.

Perhaps "matkat" could produce the evidence for his claims about the BBJ. I'm all for fair play and so if there is a clar cut case for Mbeki having his BBJ then great lets have it made.

I don't know exactly how much life the classic 747s have left in them but one would assume a few more years at least. Remeber also that the president isn't supposed to be doing LHR-JNB on a daily basis, so whilst a 747 classic might be more to operate, just how much flying is Mbeki planning on doing.....or may be there are those State visits to Harrods.....I forgot about those