PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2004, 01:50
Kev Rivkin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FTI, congrats on passing the med and psych, however, you are looking at the next stages in too fine a degree of detail.

Firstly, flying hours. The recruiters are not looking at your flying hours in any other sense than how it indicates your motivation to FLY, so demonstrate that by flying as much as possible. Any different scaling that they may apply to pilots with more than 20 decimal 000 hours will not adversely affect an applicant who actually uses his/her extra few hours of experience to achieve the higher standard, so DO NOT UNDERRATE YOURSELF !

Their suggestion that you come back in six months or six months more is a measure of how their recruiting cycle works, not their assessment of how long it should take you to get up to scratch ("the next bus leaves at 0900, but how long it takes you to earn the bus fare is up to you").
I suggest that you do the same thing as are they, that is to look at you, yourself, as an entire picture, and then expose yourself to a range of productive experiences that will later lead to their correct assessment that you will be a valuable RAAF Officer and Pilot after Pilot's Course. A two-three year timeframe may be appropriate depending on what you decide.

Playing team sports, etc ? A good suggestion but it may disregard the fact that people play sports according to preference not necessity. They may be saying that you need to practice fitting into a group, however another way to this end is doing amateur boxing. Here, you would be in a club where you get to know a lot of people very well because you are always hitting each other, you are competing against other clubs, your fitness level is at the highest of any sport, and of most relevance, boxing adds a solidity to your character and confidence that is not available in other sports - you will realize that there are dumb footy players but there are no dumb boxers J.

Again, it's incorrect to see success in your path through the selection process requiring you to worry about every fine detail needed to thread your way through some impossible maze at the end of which is the realization of that which you have dreamed.
Rather, concentrate on truly knowing yourself through the objective achievement of hard physical and intellectual goals; the most useful of the latter being leadership roles where understanding of yourself and others will come by the bucket load and not according to your own timetable and preferences.

Good luck ! Nothing beats that first time looking out on the wing and seeing a Red Rat !
I hope I haven't cut too close to the bone but if I have then get over it.

I haven't seen this thread for 2.5 years. I posted then, above, as Rene Rivkin, until the real Rene (enjoy Silverwater Jail, idiot) found out and made PPrune change the name, so now I guess I'm Rene's law-abiding twin brother ! I too would like to know what happened to Hornetboy, and what some of the other (by now well traveled and dusty ..) RAAF dudes like Trashy and Surditas have been up to !
Allan907, you should just see some of the stuff that gets written on Oz civvy pilot's job applications…